Here are the 10 commandments to follow to get the best from your manager.
I’m sure you’ve told your manager what you want from him/her. And, the manager has eagerly agreed to give it to you! But, what’s your responsibility to the firm?
From working as an agent for 8 years, and managing agents for almost two decades, I’ve drawn some conclusions about the ‘turnabout’s fair play’ that I believe agents owe managers. I’ve also listed these in the Up and Running in 30 Days, because, I believe if managers are willing to give 100% support through training and coaching each agent to success, agents need to give it their best, too.
Here are agents’ ten commandments to get what you want from your manager:
- Do the work.
- Don’t argue.
- Don’t make excuses for not doing your start-up plan.
- Don’t tell the manager you’ve been in the business two weeks and you have a better way.
- Do thank your manager frequently.
- Do tell other agents that you appreciate your manager’s efforts.
- Do tell other new agents you meet in other companies that you have a great manager.
- Don’t bug other people in the office to find another answer because you didn’t like your manager’s answer.
- Don’t change the Up and Running plan because you “don’t like it”. (You just don’t like lead generating, do you?)
- Don’t miss a coaching appointment!
I’d love to hear what you think of my ‘ten commandments.’ Are there others you think are important?
Managers: Why not make your own ten commandments and discuss them in your interview process. Then, turn the tables and ask the agent about his expectations of you and the office.
Agents: Before you hire on, get in writing exactly what your manager is going to do to assure your success, so you won’t have disappointments later. Getting agreement on what we both expect before we decide to work together is key to a happy partnership. The only surprises I want you and your agent to have after you start working together are good ones!
Side note: Managers: My belief is that you owe it to your agents to coach each one, regularly and professionally, in starting his or her business. That shows your 100% commitment to each person’s success.
Are You Achieving What You Want?
Many times, we’re not achieving as we desired because we’re not following the right plan–or a plan at all! Why not get on track with the plan that thousands of agents have used to succeed? It’s online now, too. Check out Up and Running in Real Estate. It’s so affordable, at only $249, and it’s instantly available to you. In 8 weeks, it will take you from 0 to successful.
Click here to find out more.