Wait. This isn’t just for new agents. It’s for anyone who wants to figure out whether they are in the right business! it’s estimated that about 50% of agents fail their first year in the business, and 75% are out within their second year. So, it’s a great idea to check to see if you have the characteristics successful agents exhibit.
Although there are as many approaches to the real estate business as there are people, there are certain qualities that are common to successful real estate professionals:
1. High personal initiative. Do what you know needs to be done even if no one else is doing it!
2. Tenacity. Studies show most salespeople give up after the second ‘no’. Yet, most customers only say ‘yes’ after they’ve said ‘no’ 5 times! Never give up.
3. Risk taker. Doing it before you have all the answers–taking risks–is a big part of starting your career successfully.
4. Accountability to yourself. Plan your week and work your plan. No one else will do it for you in the real estate business.
5. Reliability to others. The consumer rates “trustworthiness” as the most important attribute they need in a real estate agent. Keep your promises.
6. Willingness to learn. In this warp-speed changing business, being a life-long learner is critical to success in a real estate career.
7. Enthusiasm. Would you buy anything from anyone who wasn’t convinced himself that the product or service was important to you? And could convey his excitement and enthusiasm?
8. Handling rejection. Absolute faith in your own convictions and your own self-worth helps you weather those thousands of ‘nos’ and keep going to get a ‘yes’.
9. Creativity. Doing it like we’ve always done it just won’t work in this changing environment. Try it differently. Put you into the sales equation for great success.
Help me Out.
I’m preparing a new edition of my book for would-be and new agents, Become Tomorrow’s Mega-Agent Today. What characteristics should I add?