Here are ten tips to gain platinum level trust. Why is gaining trust so important? We salespeople can’t sell anything to anyone without first establishing an exceptional level of trust–an increasingly difficult thing to do. The ten tips I shared on in a recent radio show can help sales professionals build a ‘platinum level’ of trust.
The Ten Tips
1. Learn non-verbal skills and apply them in writing, on the phone, and in person to establish rapport in an increasingly ‘cold inquiry’ world.
2. We believe what others say about a salesperson, not what the salesperson says about themselves. Use testimonials; check evaluation websites to see what consumers are saying about you.
3. Create an after-the-sale survey and use it consistently. If there’s something wrong, fix it fast.
4. We believe what we see, not what we hear. Show, don’t tell. Use visual presentations consistently. And, as a trainer, I know that people retain only 10% 3 days after hearing it. But, when they also see it, they retain 60%. Which retention rate do you need to gain trust?
5. Flip your sales presentations. Ask questions—lots of questions—first. Educate. Finally, sell (well, you won’t have to sell).
6. Tell the truth attractively. Show evidence, don’t try to scare the client into action by predicting the future.
7. Evaluate the client for long-term relationships. Is the client someone you want to add to your ‘tribe’?
8. Use ‘tough love’ with a client to tell the truth, turn down a client—to stay true to your values. Do what’s best for the client.
9. Re-cap. Regularly, stop and re-cap with the client. Do this, too, when you can’t meet client expectations.
10. Book of Greatness: Don’t brag about yourself in the middle of a presentation. Create a ‘Book of Greatness’ to use in your pre-first visit so your clients get to know you and your approach to sales. (See Marketing You for more information on that Book of Greatness.)
How do you create trust? How do you differentiate yourself? How do you prove you really are what you say you are? In this market, everybody and their brother tells clients they are the best. You can’t afford to be one of the crowd!
This resource shows you, step by step, how to gain trust and differentiate yourself in a graceful, effective manner–a manner that’s comfortable for YOU. See it here.